So, it’s been a couple of months since I’ve blogged. Well since I’ve actually posted a blog. I’ve written a bunch in my head, but I guess that doesn’t actually count does it?
My usually busy life seems to have been even busier lately, and I looked around a few weeks ago and realized that I was definitely not being balanced. It kind of felt like I was juggling while walking a tightrope. Either something was gonna get dropped or I was gonna fall!
My house was a wreck, my kids were tired from being on the go, I was behind on half of my projects that needed to be completed at the office, and I was feeling completely unsettled. Ever been there? (Unfortunately I have, all too often)
I have a bad habit of thinking I can fix everything. That if I’m out of whack, that I can just shift a few things around and it will make it better. And that usually works…. for a little while, then I find myself right back in the same position again. You know what they say-
After some soul-searching, I came to some conclusions about the things I need to do in order to maintain sanity in my life.
1) Above all else, make sure that I am spending time with God every day. When I’m on point in my relationship with Him, everything else just seems to work out.
2) Make sure I’m showing my husband how much I love him. When I go out of my way to give him my full attention even when I’m tired, all is right in our world.
3)Take the time to focus on my kids. Whether it’s reading a book or working on flashcards with my younger two, or talking about my older daughter’s day with her, it is important that I give them my time and attention. I’ve also been focusing on working on good habits, like making sure they clean up their rooms and make their beds everyday. All the while teaching them to “Honor their father and mother so that they will have good success and have long life on the earth”
4) Take an entire day and clean my house from top to bottom. Then do whatever it takes to make sure it stays that way. When I come home and know that I have 50 loads of laundry to put away, or that I really need to clean the kitchen, I just feel frazzled when I don’t get to it. There is something calming about coming home to a clean house that only needs minimal attention rather than a complete overhaul. And then I can actually focus on those projects that I’ve had hanging over my head, ie. cleaning out the kids closets, organizing the kitchen, planting those flowers in my front yard. Well, two out of three isn’t bad. Lord knows my thumb is definitely not green! the bottom line is 15 minutes of maintenance a day saves 8 hours of cleaning on the weekend!
5) Exercise regularly. I’m toying with the idea of entering a half marathon in a few months, so this one should be easy. Over the past year I’ve really gotten into running and it really clears my head. I do have to keep this in balance too though so that it doesn’t become my focus.
6) Treat myself to frozen yogurt at least once a week! Just because I like frozen yogurt, especially with some berries and a little bit of marshmallow sauce on top!
Ecclesiastes 9:8-10 in the Message Bible says
Dress festively every morning. Don’t skimp on colors and scarves.
Relish life with the spouse you love Each and every day of your precarious life.
Each day is God’s gift. It’s all you get in exchange For the hard work of staying alive. Make the most of each one!
Whatever turns up, grab it and do it. And heartily! This is your last and only chance at it, For there’s neither work to do nor thoughts to think
In the company of the dead, where you’re most certainly headed.
I can’t promise I won’t fall off the balance wagon at some point, but I do promise I’m going to try really hard not to. We only get one chance at this life, and I want to make sure that I don’t waste it being overwhelmed because of the choices I have made.
What do you do to maintain balance in your life?
Balance for me in this season is a bit elusive, thank you so much for a wonderful and encouraging perspective!
We will try to balance together!
You need a personal assistant…:)
What I really need is a maid!